Welcome | Malaysia & Pahang | Taman Negara | Messages | Organisers | Speakers | Conference Venue | REGISTER NOW | Accommodation | Pre/Post Tours | Conference Program and Sessions| Sponsors | News & Updates | CONTACT US
Marine Life Studies
Date of Birth: 13 July 1963
Address: 27, Jalan Puteri Senggang, Seri Petaling,
57000 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 603-6276 4042
Fax: 603-6275 5250
Master of Science (Coastal Management), University of Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K. (1989 to 90).
Bachelor of Science, Honours (Ecology), University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur. (1983 to 87)
Marine Biotechnology: Educational trips to US and Denmark sponsored by MOSTE within the IGS program and Danced within the Partnership program to study the latest marine technology. (2000-2002).
Establishment of Marine Tanks conducted by John Walsh, Seaquest, USA. 2002
Reefball Foundation Training Program. Conducted by Reefball Foundation, USA. 2002 and 2003
Asian Development Bank Workshop on Economic Evaluation of Environmental Impacts, KL.
Writing to Win - Proposal writing by REYMA Management Consultant conducted by Clive Porter.
Integrated Coastal Resources Management: Special Area Management Planning, University of Rhode Island, USA and Prince of Songkla University, Thailand.
NAUI - Openwater 1 Diving Course.
Advance Spatial Analysis with SPANS GIS, Carleton Professional Development Center, Canada.
EASI/PACE User's Course, PCI, Canada.
Leadership Training Course - Towards Excellence in Leadership-by-Leadership Training International, Virginia Beach, USA.
Coral Life Sdn Bhd, Director (Present)
Woodward-Clyde (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd, Senior Environmental Scientist, 1995 - 1997.
T & T Konsult Sdn Bhd, Divisional Manager, Environmental Planning, 1994 to 1995.
World Wide Fund for Nature Malaysia, Senior Scientific Officer, 1988 to 1994.
Asian Wetland Bureau, Assistant Project Officer, 1987 to 1988.
· IGS Grant Scheme Propagation of corals under controlled laboratory conditions, to produce coral and marine aquaria systems (''corallarium") for commercial trade. Propagating corals in a self-sustaining laboratory to provide a continuing supply of marine animals for commercial and conservation applications, without losses to our natural environment. For the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment, Malaysia. (2000-01).
· Consultant to University Malaysia Sabah: To set-up, operate and transfer a marine propagation laboratory at Borneo Marine Research Institute. (2003-2005)
· Coral Farm: Initial stages of establishing the first coral farm in Sabah. In-collaboration with Yayasan Sabah, University Malaysia Sabah and Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation Malaysia (in progress)
· Marine Bio-filtration Techniques research and other new marine propagation technology development, including beach creation, reef re-structuring and filtration system. Sponsored within the MOSTE, IGS grant program. (2000-2003)
· Aquarium techniques transfer program and the available intensive aquaculture technology understudy in Denmark as “technology transfer” to Malaysia under the DANCED Partnership Program. (2000)
· Comparison of various marine technologies available in Vietnam and Malaysia that is possible for comparative transfer between the two countries. Sponsored by the Ministry of Fisheries, Vietnam (2003).
Coral Reef Rehabilitation and Coral Propagation Program in Malaysia
· Coastal Reef Rehabilitation planning for Burau Bay, Langkawi. In collaboration with Reef Ball Foundation, USA for Mutiara Burau Bay Resort. (2002)
· Coastal Reef Rehabilitation planning for Datai Bay In collaboration with Reef Ball Foundation, USA for Andaman and Datai Hotels/Resorts. (2002)
· Pan-Borneo Rotary Club, Reef rejuvenation program. Advisor to the project: project launch and construction of artificial reefs. (2003)
East Timor Marine Program
· Comparison of various marine technologies available in East Timor and Malaysia that is possible for comparative transfer between the two countries. Sponsored by the Touch Community Services Singapore (2005).
Environmental Project in Indonesia
· ASEAN Marine Officers Seminar at Pulau Seribu, Indonesia for the WWF ASEAN Program. Organized and managed the seminar for all the marine resource persons from the ASEAN WWF offices. (1991)
Environmental Project in Maldives
· Assessment of islands for the development of eco-tourism resort. Fonimagoodo Island Development (1995)
Environmental Project in Sudan
· As the Environmental Expert to lecture on environmental issues pertaining to Build-Operate-Transfer Power Generation Projects in the Republic of Sudan. Khartoum, Sudan, sponsored by the International Islamic Bank, Jeddah (2003).
· Review and preparation of the terms of reference for the Environmental Management Plan for the 250 MW IPP Development at Kilo–X, Khartoum, Sudan (2002).
· Review and preparation of the terms of reference for the Integrated Power Plant (IPP) detailed Environmental Impact assessment (EIA) in Port Sudan, Sudan (2000).
· Undertake and manage the EIA study team for "The Proposed Khartoum 250 MW Kilo–X Independent Power Plant Project for the National Electricity Corporation, Republic of Sudan. (2000-01)
Marine Program with the Vietnam Government
· Liaison person to the Vietnamese Government for their visit to Malaysia on establish of Marine Protected Area (MAP). (2002)
· Visit to Hon Mun (MAP), Nha Trang and RIMF, Vietnam. Advisor to the Government of Vietnam on the Coral Reef Program. (2002)
· Liaison person to the RIMF, Vietnam Government for their visit to Malaysia to establish Joint Vietnam-Malaysian Marine Projects (2003).
Asian Development Bank and ASEAN-US AID program
· Resource person to Asian Development Bank: production of the banks’ document for Economic Evaluation of Environmental Impacts in Asia. (1995)
· Consultant to Asian Development Bank for the preparation of environmental impact assessment guidelines for development projects in Malaysia. In collaboration with the Department of Environment, Kuala Lumpur. (1995)
· Surveyed the freshwater swamps in Johor, Malaysia for the ASEAN-US Aid program. (1987).
DANCED Funded Projects
· DANCED Mission - Management of Hydrological Systems for Conservation and Sustainable Use of Peat Swamp Forests in Malaysia. Local Team member for project document appraisal. (2000)
· DANCED NGO Program – Local consultant assistant Danish Consultant on NGO project appraisal and discussions. (2000)
· DANCED NGO Program – 2nd Mission to Malaysia. Team member and local liaison for the Danish NGO team, assisting in local contacts and meeting. (2000).
· DANCED NGO Program – First Mission to Malaysia. Team member and local liaison for the Danish NGO team, assisting in local contacts and meeting. (2000).
· DANCED Consultant and team member for the establishment of the Tasek Bera Ramsar. Site Integrated Management Plan (1999 –2004).
· DANCED Consultant for the Tasek Bera Nature Trails design, establishment and brochure development. (1999)
· DANCED Mid-term review member of the Tasek Bera integrated management project by Wetland International Kuala Lumpur. (1997)
Sea Turtle and Coral Conservation
· Coral Reef Propagation in ex-situ conditions and the establishment of low maintenance reef aquarium research. In collaboration with the Department of Fisheries Malaysia. (2000)
· Sea Turtle Awareness and Research Program, in Malaysia for 1994-5. Sea turtle consultant to the Department of Fisheries on the sea turtle awareness campaign, media releases, video production and research program. (1995)
· Sea Turtle Summer Program in Queensland, Australia with the Department of Environment and Heritage. Worked with Dr Colin Limpus of the Department of Environment and Heritage, Australia on the sea turtle program in Bundaberg and Heron Island, Queensland and at Malaysian beaches. Used the latest techniques in sea turtle research and tourism management on the turtle beaches. (1990)
· IUCN Specialist Species Programs for the ASEAN region for the World Conservation Agency. Advising the IUCN Specialist Species Group on turtle issues in Malaysia and the ASEAN region. Assisting with the network program for this species conservation. (1990 –1994)
· Studied the Status of Sea Turtle in Terengganu, Malaysia for the Department of Fisheries, Terengganu. Seconded to the Department of Fisheries Terengganu to study the status of sea turtles of the main nesting beaches in that State. (1988 –1990)
Japan International Aid Cooperation (JICA) Funded Projects
· Malaysia Environmental Profile Study for Japan Bank for International Cooperation. (2002)
· Integrated urban drainage and Improvement study for the Melaka and Sungai Petani. To undertake site survey, assess environmental impact from new drainage project and to recommend mitigation and monitoring program for the Department of Drainage and Irrigation. (2000)
· The study for a pedestrian friendly city for Kuala Lumpur. In collaboration with Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur. To determine the level of usage by disable pedestrian and the main problems faced. (1999)
· Formulation and design of possible future projects for the States of Sabah and Sarawak. For JICA funding consideration for the year 2000. (1999)
Federal and Local Government Planning
· Local Plan for Precinct 2, 3, 4 & 18 of Putrajaya for PAG Consult Sdn Bhd. (2002)
· Preparation of “Langkawi Rimba Ilmu dan Rekrasi (LARIR)” development plan for LADA-ECO a subsidiary of Langkawi Development Authority. (2002)
· Preparation of “Langkawi Marine Educational and Recreational Centre (LAMEC)” development plan for LADA-ECO a subsidiary of Langkawi Development Authority. (2002)
· Preparation of “Langkawi Water Art Festival” implementation plan under LADA-ECO a subsidiary of Langkawi Development Authority. (2002)
· Preparation of “Langkawi Center for Sustainable Environment, Energy and Tourism (LAST)” implementation plan for LADA-ECO a subsidiary of Langkawi Development Authority. (2002)
· Local Agenda 21 Planning for Petaling Jaya Municipality (MPPJ): consultant to MPPJ to prepare projects, future development recommendations and management of social and environmental issues in Petaling Jaya. (2000)
· Tasek Gelugor Local Planning consultant to Penang State government and the Federal Town and Country Planning Department on the environmental planning and improvement of the Tasek Gelugor, Penang. (2000)
· Padang Midin Local Planning: consultant to Terengganu State government and the Federal Town and Country Planning Department on the environmental planning and improvement of the Padang Midin – Hiliran, Terengganu. (1999)
· Kuala Sanglang Local Planning: consultant to Perlis State government and the Federal Town and Country Planning Department on the environmental planning and improvement of the Kuala Sanglang, Perlis. (1999)
· Batu Buruk – Chendering Local Planning: consultant to Terengganu State government and the Federal Town and Country Planning Department on the environmental planning and improvement of the Batu Buruk - Chendering, Terengganu. (1998)
· Lembah Beriah Local Planning consultant to Perak State government and the Federal Town and Country Planning Department on the wetland planning and improvement of the Kerian District, Perak. (1998)
· Review and Preparation of the Terms of Reference for the Macro EIA Study for the Penang Coastal Reclamation and Tunneling Proposal for the Intria Berhad. (1996)
· Advisor to the Department of Environment, Kuala Lumpur on the preparation of the Terms of Reference for the Melaka Detail EIA Reclamation Program. (1995)
· Preparation of guidelines for the Department of Environment (DOE), Malaysia:
i. Guidelines were for water supply (surface and groundwater);
ii. Fisheries, harbor and aquaculture;
iii. Power generation and transmission:
In addition to preparing the sector specific EIA guidelines, the work included training local consultants and government agency staff concerned to improve the quality of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and assist DOE staff in efficient method of reviewing EIAs. (1994)
· National Conservation Strategy for the Federal Economic Planning Unit: as WWF Malaysia’s marine resource person for the project. (1991)
· Marine Park Island Conceptual Management Plan offshore Peninsular Malaysia for Department of Fisheries, Malaysia. Using Geographic Information System and other available resources to draw-up the conceptual management plan for 36 marine park islands offshore Peninsular Malaysia. (1994)
· Fraser's Hill Nature Project Development: consultant to Perbadanan Pembangunan Bukit Fraser, Pahang, to undertake surveys and recommend the future development projects for Fraser's Hill. (1989)
Environmental Management, Audit and Monitoring
· Putrajaya and Cyberjaya: Precinct 3, Precinct 19, Core Island, Challenge Park and Promenade: Preparation of the Environmental Management Plan for Perbadanan Putrajaya. (2000-2003)
· Prepared the Environmental Plan and Monitoring for the Riverine Resort, Tanjung Agas, Negeri Sembilan for Crimson Property Sdn Bhd. (1997)
· Prepared the Environmental Plan and Monitoring for the Formula One Racing Circuit at Sepang, Selangor for Malaysia Airport Sdn Bhd. Carried out the environmental audit of the construction site to ensure its’ compliance to the DOE and State requirements. (1996)
· Prepared the initial documentation for the construction of an incinerator at Pulau Besar, Melaka, for Pulau Bertuah Sdn Bhd (Land and General Group of Companies). (1996)
· Review of program in the preparation of Environmental Management and Monitoring Plan for the Tioxide Titanium Plant at Chukai, Kemaman. (1989)
Environmental Assessment and Management in Malaysia
· Detail Environmental Impact Assessment of the Integrated Kinta Highland Development Project for Rimba Raya Sdn Bhd. (1999)
· Environment Impact Assessment for Sungai Way Construction Sdn. Bhd. To project “The Preliminary Environmental Impact Assessment for the Proposed New Kuala Lumpur Transit Route”. (1997)
· Environmental Impact Assessment for Chembong Integrated Development for a mixed development scheme at Chembong, Negeri Sembilan. For Akurjaya Sdn Bhd, a Lion Group Berhad project. (1997)
· Environmental Impact Assessment for Lenggeng Integrated Development for a mixed development scheme at Lenggeng, Negeri Sembilan. For Akurjaya Sdn Bhd, a Lion Group Berhad project. (1997)
· Coastal Reclamation Study on the Macro Level for the Coast of Negeri Sembilan for the Negeri Sembilan State Economic Planning Unit: Negeri Sembilan Macro EIA. (1996).
· Environment Impact Assessment for ESPRIT Corporation Sdn. Bhd. on the: “Proposed Reclamation and Development of Parcel C at Kuala Lukut, Port Dickson District, Negeri Sembilan. (1995)
· Environment Impact Assessment for ESPRIT Corporation Sdn. Bhd. On the: “The Detail Environmental Impact Assessment for the Proposed Reclamation and Development of 500 acres of Coastal Zone Tengah, Melaka”. (1995)
· Development Impact on the Coral Reefs and Mangroves at Pulau Redang, Malaysia for WWF Malaysia. Studied the impact of a major resort development on coral reefs and mangrove forest at Pulau Redang, and made recommendation for mitigation methods. (1991)
· Feasibility Study of the Construction of a Salt Pan in Kuala Selangor, Selangor, Malaysia for WWF Malaysia. Conducted the field studies to determine the possibility of setting-up a saltpan at the Kuala Selangor mangrove forest. (1988)
· Monitoring the lake system of the Kuala Selangor Nature Park at Kuala Selangor for Asian Wetland Bureau to record the physical, ecological and chemical changes for the duration of six months. (1987)
Community and Social Program
· Socio economic survey for the Urban Drainage Improvement Study for the JICA study team at Sungai Petani and Melaka. (2000)
· Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Workshops for T & T Konsult Sdn Bhd and Sabah Parks. GIS workshops were carried out in Kuala Lumpur and Sabah for various government agencies to introduce GIS and local case studies: Kinta mining area rehabilitation and marine park island management were used.
· Consultant to the Curriculum Development Center, Ministry of Education, Malaysia for the Introduction of Marine Environment to the School Curriculum in Malaysia. To be the resource person on the marine environment programs: teacher training, field courses and resource materials. (1991)
· Resource person to the Curriculum Development Center, Ministry of Education Malaysia for their field training courses on marine ecosystems. (1991)
· Promotion of Marine Education and Conservation in Malaysia for the Department of Fisheries, Malaysia. Advisor to the Department on the Marine Park awareness programs. (1991)
· Marine Education, Training Camp for Teachers in Pulau Redang, Terengganu, Malaysia for the Department of Fisheries and Department of Education, Malaysia. Organized and conducted a 5-day field program to introduce key personnel from the Ministry of Education to the various aspects of marine biology and education. (1991)
· 'Coral Reef Education Chart' for Canada Fund Malaysia and Department of Fisheries, Malaysia. Managed the production, publication and printing of this poster. (1991)
· Marine Interpretative, Education and Training Program at Pulau Redang, Malaysia for the Department of Fisheries, Malaysia. Assisted the Department of Fisheries Malaysia to set-up their marine interpretative, education and training program at the newly established center at the Pulau Redang Marine Park. (1991)
· Training on Rapid Evaluation Methods for Mangroves and Shorebirds on Coastal Wetlands in Selangor, Malaysia for the Asian Wetland Bureau. Conducted and participated in the training exercise. (1986)
Aikanathan, S. (2003) Power Project Development in Sudan Case of IPP Kilo X, Khartoum, the Republic of Sudan (Assessing Environment Impacts). BOT Workshop organized by International Islamic Bank, Jeddah at Khartoum, and Republic of Sudan.
Aikanathan, S. (2003) Experiences and Lessons learnt from the Kilo-X IP Project in Khartoum, Republic of Sudan (Covering Economic Changes and Development Impact Issues). BOT Workshop organized by International Islamic Bank, Jeddah at Khartoum, Republic of Sudan.
Aikanathan, S. (2003) Environment Requirements and Sustainable Developments in the Republic of Sudan: Lessons learned from Development and Economic Changes in Malaysia. BOT Workshop organized by International Islamic Bank, Jeddah at Khartoum, and Republic of Sudan.
Wetland International Asia Pacific (1999) Tasek Bera Ramsar Site. Integrated Management Plan (1999-2004). Volume II & I. Wetlands International Publications.
Aikanathan, S. and Wong, E.F.H. (1995) Marine park island conceptual plan. Department of Fisheries and WWF Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.
Aikanathan, S. (1995) Towards an industrial vision of 2020 and marine turtle conservation. OVERSEAS-Quarterly Journal of the Royal Over-Seas League. St. James's Street, London.
Aikanathan, S. and Sasekumar, A. (1994) The community structure of macroalgae in a low shore mangrove forest in Selangor, Malaysia. Hydrobiologia 285: 131-137.
Aikanathan, S. and Louis, I (1994) Women's participation in the promotion of socio-economic opportunities at Pulau Redang, Malaysia. WWF Malaysia.
Aikanathan, S., Chitrovelu, N. and Sargunan, R. (1994) Marine education kit. WWF Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.
Mohd Ibrahim Hj Mohamed, Japar Sidik Bujang & Aikanathan, S. (1993) Development impact on the coral reefs and mangroves of Pulau Redang - Pulau Redang revisited. WWF Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.
Aikanathan, S. (1993) Promotion of marine education, training and implementation program throughout Peninsular Malaysia. WWF Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.
Aikanathan, S. (1992) World Wide Fund For Nature Malaysia and the development at Pulau Redang. Malayan Nature Society Public Symposium, 2 August, 1992.
Aikanathan, S. (1992) Marine interpretative, education and training program for Pulau Redang Marine Park Malaysia. WWF Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.
Aikanathan, S. (1992) Rantau Abang model turtle sanctuary: A management case-study of a leatherback rookery. pp. 379-390 in: In Harmony with Nature. Proceedings of the International Conference on Conservation of the Tropical Biodiversity 12-16 June, 1990. Yap Son Kheong and Lee Su Win (eds.). United Selangor Press, Kuala Lumpur.
Mortimer, J.A., Zaid, A., Safee, K., Mohd Dzuhari, M.D., Sharma, D. and Aikanathan, S. (1992) Evaluation of the practice of splitting sea turtle egg clutches under hatchery conditions. Terengganu Sea Turtle Sanctuary Advisory Council Report, Terengganu.
Aikanathan, S. (1991) Conservation recommendations for the establishment of marine turtle sanctuaries and hatcheries in Terengganu, Malaysia. Master of Science thesis, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom.
Aikanathan, S. and Mortimer J.A. (1990) Recommendation for the establishment and management of turtle sanctuaries and hatcheries in the State of Terengganu. WWF Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.
Aikanathan, S. (1989) Rantau Abang a model turtle sanctuary - A management case-study of a leatherback rookery. WWF Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.
Prentice, C. and Aikanathan, S. (1989) A preliminary faunal survey of the north Selangor peat swamp forest. Asian Wetland Bureau/WWF Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.
IUCN (1989) A directory of Asian wetlands. IUCN, The World Conservation Union, Gland, Switzerland and Cambridge, UK publications. (a contributor)
Aikanathan, S. (1988) Monitoring of the lake system at Kuala Selangor Nature Park. Asian Wetland Bureau, Kuala Lumpur.
Aikanathan, S. and Kavanagh, M. (1988) The effects of fishing on leatherback turtles. WWF Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur.
Pons, L.J., Prentice, C. and Aikanathan S. (1988) A preliminary report of two peat swamp areas in Selangor State, Peninsular Malaysia, in relation to their optimal use. Asian Wetland Bureau, Kuala Lumpur.
Pons, L. J., Prentice, C. and Aikanathan, S. (1988) A preliminary assessment of some peat and freshwater swamp areas in south-eastern Pahang.
Aikanathan, S. (1987) Report on a training exercise by Asian Wetland Bureau for rapid excavation methods of mangroves and shorebirds in coastal wetlands. Asian Wetland Bureau, Kuala Lumpur.
Aikanathan, S. (1987) The community structure of macroalgae in a low shore mangrove forest at Sementa, Selangor. B. Sc. Hons. Thesis, University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur.
Malaysian Wetland Directory. Department of Wildlife and National Parks, Peninsular Malaysia (1987).
Enhancing Forest Related Eco-tourism Services and Products for Tasek Bera Ramsar Site, Pahang
A Project by Wetlands International
Tasek Bera is a freshwater wetland system in central Peninsular Malaysia, consisting of a mosaic of wetland habitats dominated by peat swamp forest, extensive reed beds, Pandanus stands and open water bodies. Lowland dipterocarp forest surrounds the wetland and the catchment has mainly been converted to oil palm and rubber plantations. The indigenous Semelai people have lived in the Tasek Bera area for hundreds of years, and while livelihoods are changing, natural resources still provide a source of supplementary income.
Tasek Bera was designated as a Ramsar site (Wetlands of International Importance) in 1995. A three-year project was initiated in 1996 to provide support for the implementation of obligations under the Ramsar Convention, specifically on the integrated management of Tasek Bera. The project was financed by the Danish Co-operation for Environment and Development, and implemented by the Pahang State Government with technical assistance from Wetlands International. An Integrated Management Plan was formulated and developed based on Ramsar guidelines for Tasek Bera Ramsar site for the period from 1999 to 2004.
Wetlands International designed a project to enhance forest related eco-tourism at Tasek Bera. This project aims to increase the capacity of the local Semelai in eco-tourism initiatives, specifically the SABOT (Semelai Association for Boating and Tourism) members, various activities are carried out in the village, ranging from institutional skill enhancement to building capacity in managing eco-tourism activities.
A wide range of activities are carried out to strengthen the institutional capacity of the members of SABOT, these activities include:
· English classes to improve communication skills, computer, accounting and book keeping skills;
· Eco-guide training, to build capacity in eco-tourism management;
· Forest campsite management and maintenance;
· Handicraft making classes for the younger generation, to ensure the continuity of the local handicraft production;
· Establishment of an herbal garden, to strengthen the traditional medicine resource amongst the local community.
Through participatory mechanism and empowerment of the Semelai through SABOT, eco-tourism establishment in Tasek Bera can be seen as a way to improve the socio-economic status of the Semelai people, whilst reducing their dependency on the limited natural resources at Tasek Bera.